Groom's wedding checklist: preparation before the wedding day.
How exciting it is! Your wedding celebration is only a day away.
Sit back and neglect the last preparation is a good way to ruin all of your hard works. However, you shouldn't be worried too much either. It's a day to relax. What you need now is a comprehensive checklist that covers all key points. And the list is just right below. All you need to do is to follow them, one by one. Easy!
If you are a bride, you can read Bride's preparation checklist before wedding day as they are different in some parts.
We divide the list into two sections: the day before and the morning before the photographers arrive.
The day before
- Outfits: shirt, jacket, pants, socks, belt, tie/bow-tie. Check if there is any loose button. Iron all of them. Keep them at one place, ideally in one single garment bag. Get a nice hanger too.
- If you don't know how to do the tie/bow-tie yet, it's highly recommended that you practice a couple times in advance. YouTube is your best friend.
- Accessories: handkerchief/pocket-square, cuff-links, watch. Put all of them in a box, or in a zip lock bag. Then put it inside the garment bag.
- Shoes: brush and polish them.
- The rings: keep three of them at one place: the engagement ring and two wedding rings. Most photographers will ask you to do this. Check with them to know if you or the bride should keep.
- Grooming kit: you don't want to run back and forth to the grocery in the morning.
- Vows: make sure everything you want to say is on a note. Make a copy in your phone, and email one to yourself. Try not to read it out loud as it might take away some emotion for tomorrow.
- Allergy killers: if you have allergy to anything, even with dust, pollen.
- Check in with groomsmen to make sure everyone is on the same page: time, location, tasks. One person late means the whole crew late. Remind them to bring what they have to.
- Gifts: for the bride, for the groomsmen. Wrap the gift in advance but save the card for tomorrow for some photos.
- Set the alarm at least two hours before the photographers arrive.
- Finally, sleep early.
- Drink too much. A little champagne is okay. Save the booze for tomorrow reception.
- Eat too much or try new food. This might upset your stomach.
- Stay up late for any reason. Get yourself at least 8-hour sleep.
The morning of the wedding (before your photographers arrive)
- Call your wedding party and make sure they woke up already. Remind them again what they should bring.
- If you need to buy something, ask a groomsman to do it on his way. Once everyone arrives, no one goes anywhere. It’s time for photos.
- Tidy up the room, put away bottles, snacks, trash (consider this as a morning exercise). Keep it clean at ALL TIME before your photographers arrive.
- Lay your outfits, all accessories, rings at one place (on the bed or table), ready for the photographers to take photos as soon as they arrive.
- Skip breakfast, no matter how nervous you are, or if you don’t feel like eating. Eat light if you cannot take a full meal. It is a long day and you need lots of energy to stay sharp.
- Shave your beard or style your hair before your photographers come. They prefer to take photos when you actually do it. Ask your photographers to make sure. Different photographer has different type of approach.